Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:34:23 -0600
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Your thoughts on auto transmission

Chris,

I have an '85 Wolfsburg Westfalia with an automatic. The automatic does require regular fluid, filter and gasket changes but overall can be pretty trouble free. It does not suffer from the mechanical difficulties of the manual and you don't have to mess with the clutch. There is no loss of speed on the highway but I probably will lose a drag race with a well tuned manual trannied van. The automatic also will take a bit more gas -- my absolute best has been 21 mpg on a slow run (60 mph) on a near flat road between Corpus Christi and Houston. I've been on a few hills around Townsend, Tennessee that raised some doubts but we made it up just fine. Not fast, but fine. Would I buy another? Oh hell yeah.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'