Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:08:48 -0500
From:         tabe johnson <xtabe@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Auto Trans vs. Manual Trans

I asked this same question not too long ago when shopping for a Westfalia. It sounds like it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

The automatics are easy and relatively cheap to rebuild; the standards are not. It sounds like the RPM per MPH are about the same at highway speeds for both the manuals and autos. Mileage on all vans is about the same -- the overriding factor here is that you're driving a big square brick around, not the relatively small percentage of efficiency the autobox robs.

For ME, I'm used to driving manuals. (More than once, when I've rented cars, I go to push the clutch in when I stop, and accidentally hit the edge of the brake pedal!) I prefer the control the manual gives me - if I see a hill coming up I can downshift when I want to, and when I'm going downhill I can choose a gear based on if I want to speed up or slow down. Also if you have a dodgy battery or starter you can push start a manual, not an auto. I don't find shifting a chore; I find it keeps me in tune with what's going on around me. Also at low speeds on back roads I can pick the most appropriate gear.

If you're a lazy shifter, I suggest the auto. If you like to shift, I suggest the manual.

Good luck!

--tabe johnson xtabe @ yahoo . com

PS Religion and all other personal details about listmembers are completely irrelevant to our discussions. Please make this guy go away. I'm so glad politics is hardly ever discussed here!