Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:53:22 -0700
From:         Karen Olson <kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pitted Heads
Comments: To: Mick Reynolds <russellkai@hotmail.com>

Still going strong here...

In 1996, I used JB Weld to fill-in pitted surfaces on both heads (where they make contact with the head gaskets). The odometer broke 95,000 miles later but the 1.9L has held together well.

Thanks again list members!!!

Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Mick Reynolds [mailto:russellkai@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 11:58 PM To: kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Pitted Heads

Hi, I guess this is almost 4 years old. How are the JB Weld heads doing?

Mick

From: Karen Olson <kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> Reply-To: Karen Olson <kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Pitted Heads Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:27:34 -0700

Gerry,

I have 71K miles on my 1.9 rebuild. I used heads from 2 vehicles with over 120K miles on the odometers. They were both pitted. I cleaned the head mating surfaces thoroughly, applied JB Weld to fill the pits, then carefully sanded level with a sheet of fine sandpaper taped to a sheet of glass. I pulled the valves and lapped them with a Sears Craftsman tool and valve grind paste. I am not sure this was necessary. The valves and guides were fine. I was impressed with the durability of the valves and guides on my 1984 1.9. That is all I did. JB Weld and, a LOT of elbow grease.

I would steer clear of rebuilt/welded heads. If yours are bad I would find some decent used heads, or buy new. I believe Halsey Automotive in Portland, OR, had new heads for $300 and something.

Good Luck!

Scott Maurer (Boise) 1984 Vanagon GL 1985 Isuzu Trooper 1988 Isuzu Trooper ----- Original Message ----- From: gerry rafferty To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 12:46 PM Subject: Pitted Heads

I am rebuilding a engine core 1.9, and both heads look OK but both pitted.From the archives,and what I intend to do,take to a shop,rebuild,and jb weld the pits. Can you tell me your experience you have gone this route? Thanks Gerry

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963