Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:52:37 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      wrap around metal bumpers.Was:Re: NEW Fiberglass bumpers and s....
Comments: To: jtharvey2@HOTMAIL.COM

In a message dated 3/16/2004 10:37:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, jtharvey2@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> What I want to do is is build a bumper very similar to the chrome bumpers > but have it wrap around the body like the later bumpers. Simple, slim, > sleek, black, euro, 8 lbs. >

A fair amount of the Vanagons (Microbus in South Africa) built in South Africa (SA) have a metal bumper similar to the style you are talking about. I guess they stopped producing the Vanangon in SA in 2002 or thereabouts(?)

Anyway most SA models came with what looks like a black metal bumper that wrapped around the Vanagon in one piece--no plastic bumper ends, but a continuing bumper which wraps around the sides (this is on the SA Microbus 1.8L and 2.3i of say 2000). On the more upscale model (the SA Microbus 2.6i) the front bumper wrapped around the sides as did the lower models but this upscale model had addition "bumpers" which matched the style across the bottom of the front doors. This gives the effect of the bumper wrapping around the side and continuing through the front door. The rear bumper in this configuration wrapped all the way around to the back of the rear fender wells with the bumper remaining metal all the way around. (there is also the full upscale vanangon in the SA brochure from VW called the Caravelle which has what looks like the fiberglass "aero" bumpers on the upscale Vanagons here in the USA. Possibly these were made of a more modern material in the SA models than fiberglass, but this I don't know. Where's James Cohen when you need him? Time for him to make another fact finding mission to SA.)

I have a Just Kampers catalogue which is a UK company and they sell the front and rear wraparound metal bumpers along with a front air dam like the air dam in the US as a kit called "Bundle Kit. just kampers styling kit." This kit also includes skirt sills which look like black covers for the seam at the very bottom of the Vanagon body and run underneath the Vanagon from the back of the front fender well to the front of the rear fender well. Part number for the styling kit is: JK2541. The catalogue I have prices the kit at 395 pounds. I think the catalogue I have is about 4 years old. According to the catalogue they have a website at www.justkampers.co.uk

The kit Just Kampers shows does not have the addition metal pieces that continue the bumper through the bottom of the front doors. As near as I can tell the Just Camper kit is merely the South African bumper configuration from the lower scale Microbus models as the pictures show the "standard" 4 light South African grill and longer South African lower grill on the same pages of the catologue with the styling kit pictures. In addition the photos seem to match the photos I have seen of South African Vanagons in the VW brochures from South Africa.

I myself am particularly intrigued by the sill covers and they would cover that body seam which on my Vanagon is partially undercoat, partially chipped undercoating and partially dented from the previous owner. None of this is even noticable to anyone but me, but I'm always looking at it.

Also the wrap around rear metal bumper reaches right up to the rear fender well and would meet a certain style SA mud flap that is designed specifically to go with these style bumpers. The mub flap mounts inside the fender well as opposed to the more popular mud flaps you see here in the US that mount about 3" or so behind the fender well. The SA mud flaps designed to go with the metal wrap around bumpers have a contour to match up with the rear bumper's front-most edge and create a smooth line.

In short I'm guessing the bumper configuration you speak of is readily available in wrecking yards all over South Africa. Or more than likely available from VW of South Africa. How one gets them here is another story. And then, like I said, possibly the bumpers are still available from Just Kampers in the UK. Maybe an e-mail to them would clear it up.

That's about all I know, and as you have seen some of it is speculation, but I have seen the photos and the all metal black bumpers (which by the way have no rubber strip) do look pretty cool. And the constant line--that is the wrap around being configured all in metal--is, in my opinion, much more pleasing to the eye that the frumpy plastic bumper corners we're used to on the metal bumpers in the US.

Somewhere someone had posted a brochure for the SA vanagons but I don't recall the URL. The brochure shows the bumpers.

.....time passes....... OK, I just checked the Just Kampers website and couldn't find the "styling Kit". My Just Kampers hard copy of the catalogue is from 1999. And I see that the Bus Depot catalogue (the hard copy) has a limited view of the south african wrap around metal bumpers in a photo which shows the South African grill which BD sells. It appears BD does not sell the bumpers and so the views of the bumper package in the BD catalogue are pretty limited--you can only see the front of the front bumper and can't see how it wraps around the side. And of course you can't see the rear bumper in these photos at all.

That is all. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA