Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:23:47 -0700
From:         Mike Blotz <Mike.Blotz@PEARLIZUMI.COM>
Subject:      Re: " you fixed it with what?!"

but america is about the only country in the world where we rely on gasoline more so than diesel!--so that sounds alil fishy to me. I for one am planning a tierra del fuego trip--and diesel is on my list of wants for vehicle support (although it looks like the subi syncro is gonna be the one). I'm a big bio-diesel advocate though. actually have some friends over in india right now who are importing a diesel royal enfield motorcycle if all goes well. diesel will run on what ever kind of crap you put in em as long as there are no big particles flooating around.

gotta remember rudolf diesel originally designed his motor to run on peanut oil. for some strange reason he disappeared on his way to america with his invention (think that is right). hmm--almost sounds like some kind of oil company/government conspiracy dont it--better shut up now.

but yes--VW does frown on running bio-diesel or pure vegetable oil--they dont ever really have to know do they? as much as i like bio-diesel--I'm leaning more towards pour vege oil--all you do is dump it in and your ready to roll

now--if we could just get the visions of really poorly designed 80's american black smoke billowing diesels ou tof everyones heads and let them see that diesels really can be clean burning machines. not much has changed here--does anyone really need a 7.3L diesel to get grocery's with?

ok--quiet now

for you diesel folks, something you might want to check on ...

i dimly recall that one of the vw magazines took a diesel rabbit down into mexico. only trouble was, they couldn't find any diesel fuel at the stations when they started running low. so someone, possibly a local who had btdt, suggested using gasoline with a lot of motor oil mixed in.

so they filled up the tank with gasoline, adding (i think) one quart of 30w motor oil for every five gallons of gas. and drove it back across the border. they mentioned that they changed the oil very quickly after getting home. :)

it's the 1qt-to-5gallons that i'm not sure of ... might have been more oil than that. but i remember thinking that was a pretty neat trick to keep moving in a diesel. :)

joel