Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:18:23 -0700
From:         Fred Brittain <vanpire@CITLINK.NET>
Subject:      Overheated, head gaskets blown, etc

Volks,

I drove my '89 Westy into an extreme overheat situation. . . The coolant was pretty well drained. Interestingly, the first observable equipment failure was the temp sensor from the expansion tank laying on the metal tray in front of the tail light assembly. More interesting was that the wire was not connected and it still didn't fall off. It was off because I replaced the sensor and the connectors were not compatible. It would stay on for extended periods and fall off. Several check for leaks led me to believe everything was ok. I didn't have the correct connector to splice in, excuses, excuses. I'm going to pay for my laziness.

Took the push rod tube cover off just now and the right side head gasket seems to have been boiled. Pouring water into the expansion tank runs right out both sides of the block indicating both head gaskets are gone.

My first question is what caused the engine to overheat in the first place. Did it get hot and 'blow' the sensor out? Did the sensor become unthreaded and fall out allowing loss of coolant and resultant head gasket problems? I can detect no coolant leaks other than head gaskets and the sensor hole in the top of the expansion tank.

The engine starts and sounds ok. I pulled over and had it towed as soon as I smelled/heard something wrong. How can I detect serious damage? Guess I'll start with a compression check since that's about all I can think to do without pulling the heads.

Any advice about how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Fred 89 Westy