Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:07:21 -0700
From:         Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another 2nd battery issue/question

Jim Felder wrote:

> There's still a small problem. Where's the best place to wire into the > camper stuff to run it off the aux battery?

Since I haven't seen a response I'll offer what I did -- let me emphasize that this is simply that: 'What I did'. There are many ways to wire up aux power and the best thing is to think thru what you want to run from that battery and how the original loom can be safely used in conjunction with the add-ons.

My aux battery is under the rear seat and charged through an isolator in the engine compartment.

1. I ran a wire (with an inline fuse) from the aux battery to the interior light circuit and removed the #8 fuse from the fuse block. This put all interior lights and the lights I added to that circuit on the aux. It also puts the brake lights on the aux -- not that that seems to matter.

2. I removed the #9 fuse from the fuse block and snapped in a little copper jumper to bridge circuits 8 & 9. This put the clock, radio & cigar lighter on the aux (I am not running an amp or any sound system that would have a big current draw).

3. I ran a separate wire (with an inline fuse) to the supply for the refrigerator fan. This I set up with a (SPDT center off) toggle switch to power the fridge from main, aux, or completely off (the last bit is required when you live in Arizona as the ambient temp can get so high that the fridge fan would run 24/7 even when the fridge was off). This change also made the water pump and indicator lights (including battery condition) operate off of whichever battery the circuit was switched too.

To add some versatility the plywood box that the battery is in also has a (fused) cigar lighter socket on the side for 12V compressor, camera battery charger, small power inverter, etc.

That's about it -- interior lights, radio, water pump and fridge are the things that run on aux cause they're the things that get used when we're parked for a week in one place. This has worked for me for many years -- hope you find what works for you.

Geo Hahn 84 Westy Mt Lemmon, AZ