Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:54:29 -0800
From:         Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Bio-diesel in VW's

I think a majority of diesel in Europe has at least 25% bio in it. (Euro listies, please correct me if I'm wrong) From what I understand, VW TDi's are certified to run on bio-diesel with the exception of US bio-diesel. The reason seems to be that some distributors of bio-diesel in the US think it's more profitable to water theirs down with rendered grease (animal fat), which they can get paid to take away from slaughter houses. This fat solidifies at a higher temp and thus renders the fuel useless in low temp areas. Can you say molasses? Humboldt State U's CCAT did tests on locally supplied bio-diesel and found rendered grease in it. Getting the bad stuff by accident can be a real turn off to those trying it out for the first time. Vehicle won't start if outside temp in under 45F. Diesel stabilizer helps but not enough to keep this junk flowing.

Though it depends somewhat on the type of plant the oil comes from, clean, refined bio-diesel with diesel stabilizer in it, should perform well in most climates form 20F-100F.

The problem with unrefined plant oil is that it doesn't burn as clean and produces nearly as much NOX as petrol-diesel. Yes it's a plant based fuel but dirty. The refining process does a lot for the emissions. There are no toxic byproducts of the refining process unless the batch is bad.

I don't know the story on how Rudy died but it wasn't long after his death that the oil companies had a market for a refinery byproduct that they previously were burning off.

Just think about the direction the world fuel economy might have taken if Diesel's plant fuel, had been successfully marketed. I wonder how many less wars might have been waged in the last century?

Admittedly, bio-diesel is not a perfect fuel but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

I'm burning bio-diesel in my generator and hope to be burning it my Vanagon by summer.

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro