Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:40:25 -0800
From:         Ben S <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>
Subject:      is my engine done?

this is my first post in a few months due to a broken knee that ended my winter as a snowboard bum and destroyed my ability to drive. well, 2 months after my surgery, last week, my doctor gave me permission to put up to 40 pounds of weight on my bad leg, so i decided it was time to go for a drive. i started up my van, which with it's killer stereo and even better snow tires had been loaned out to my friends a few times to get to the mountain. and much to my dismay, i heard a terrible sound from the engine that i had never heard before. at first i thought it sounded kind of like an exhaust leak: it followed the frequency of the normal engine noise as rpms increased but the sound was out of phase--the loud peaks of this new noise happened in between the peaks of the normal noise. it was loud enough to hear easily inside the van with the windows up. i thought that maybe a belt was loose and hitting something... so i went back and looked and could find nothing out of the ordinary. all rotating parts appeared not to be hitting anything and i didn't see any exhaust leaking up from under the manifolds. i took a short drive and the engine didn't feel weak at all, although my reference may have been skewed by many weeks without driving. then i parked for fear of cratering my engine.

now let me jump back to the last stuff i posted on here, in early january. i was having trouble with the low oil pressure warning coming on when i'd drive hard up long hills. i was told not to hold the engine at 4k rpm for so long and to switch to sythetic oil. well i never got to do the second one because of that damn tree but i was having good luck avoiding the buzzer by going real slow in 2nd gear when i drove the steeper parts of my route to the mountain. but now my theory is this: i had a worn bearing that was letting too much oil through and causing the low pressure when the oil got too hot. then perhaps one of my stoner friends pushed the car too hard or maybe the bearing just finally gave out and now i am hearing the wonderful sound of rod knock.

so here's my question: what should my diagnostic procedure be from here? i don't consider myself an expert at identifying engine noises so should i just take the van to a garage? or are there some things i could check first? is there a way to check for rod knock other than buying one of those engine stethoscope things? my van is parked up in sacramento now by my gf's place and i'm staying down in oakland with my sister (it's amazing how being unable to walk totally ruins your ability to live alone) so i can't go check on it right now... but i'm probably getting a ride up there next week and i'd like to fool around for awhile trying to diagnose this myself before i give up and go to a garage and spend money that i already owe to a knee surgeon.

what are some good vw shops up there? i remember from some previous posts a reccomendation for ted's german auto... anyone have anythign else to say on that? how likely is it that if i have rod knock my engine will blow up on a short, slow drive to a garage?

thanks for any advice and watch out for trees!!

Ben.