Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:00:18 -0600
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Porsche 944 Motor & transmission in Vanagon?

Sorry, I can't find the address of where BenT posted my pictures. I thought I had it saves somewhere.

Don't worry everyone, as soon as the major part of the project is finished I'll be setting up a site and posting about a zillion pictures. I've spent so much money on this thing that I'll have to show it off.

Just yesterday I got my new front bumper mounted (previous chrome bumper with rubber pads still available - straight and nice - holes for license plate mount, but the holes aren't threaded - easy enough to solve - I'm taking offers on that). For Christmas I was given a black bumper from CIP. The finish just didn't look like it would hold up to a single stone chip, and it wasn't drilled for a front license plate.

Being the perfectionist that I am, I had to correct this. First, I took very careful measurements and drilled holes for the two license plate mounting holes. Next I removed the threaded inserts from the chrome bumper. Not having any metric drill bits, of course I made the holes too big. No problem, I figured, I can solve that.

Next, I took the bumper to one of the places that does those spray-in truck bed linings. The black coating isn't ever coming off this bumper now. I set about to insert the threaded inserts into my too big holes. I had to use some JB Weld (don't tell anyone). That didn't quite do it for me. I got some fender washers (very large washers with small holes in the middle) and JB welded them (don't tell anyone) to the threaded inserts on the back side of the bumper. Two fender washers equaled the height of the insert. All of this was assembled with copious amounts of JB Weld (once again, please don't tell anyone).

I went and bought a really nice thin metal license plate frame. I purchased some black nylon nuts and washers to attach the bottom of the plate to the frame.

I went to my local county tax office to pick up my personalized license plates ("GOGH" - you figure it out). I had to use a grinder to make the plate fit the frame just right. Next, I attached the frame to the plate using the nylon nuts and bolts on the bottom two holes. Those were also secured with blue loctite.

Now for the top two holes. I went to my hardware store and purchased two 6mm allen head bolts, two 6mm washers, and two 6mm nuts. All stainless steel, of course. The next thing I did was paint the stainless steel allen head bolts black (to match the license plate frame and bumper).

Once the paint dried, it was time to put the license plate on the bumper. I fitted the 6mm bolts through the top holes in the frame and license plate. I then gave them a liberal dose of blue loctite. Next, they were threaded down onto the inserts that are now secured in the bumper. I bought bolts that were a little long so I could put an additional nut on the back. I didn't want the bolt sticking out too far, so I ground off the end so the bolt would be just the right length. Once the bolt was tightly threaded into the insert, I put a dab more blue loctite on the protruding threads on the back side of the bumper. I then threaded on the remaining 6mm nuts. Threaded them on tight.

That license plate and frame aren't coming off of there. You will have to remove the bumper to even begin to remove them. Once that whole affair was done, I installed the end caps (freshly cleaned and shined, of course) on the bumper. I then bolted the bumper onto the front of the van with two bolts that I had very nicely painted black.

You would think that a simple job like installing a front bumper would go pretty quickly. The way I do things, I made it last a pretty long time. Heavy duty? Absolutely. Overkill? Probably. Pride in craftsmanship? No doubt. Great looks? How can you even ask?

This is just a portion of the reason that this project has progressed more slowly than anticipated. Right now I'm awaiting the turbo clutch I ordered. Once I get that, I'll be on a roll again.

Please be patient. If my wife has learned to be patient with this project, so can all of you. I'll put up pictures somewhere as soon as I make a little more progress on the van.

Cheers, Bruce