Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:19:33 -0800
From:         Buffalo 66 <ss180ss@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [turbovans] 1.9TD with EGT / Oil Temp / Boost Test Drive
              Results
Comments: To: turbovans@yahoogroups.com, TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: VANAGON@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG

What kind of MPG would you be expecting from the 1.9 TD? What kind of mileage would a TDi conversion produce? Or for that matter, does anyone have any MPG data for any of thier conversions? (or even stock) I'm thinking fo going the 1.9td with my Double cab.

thank for the info- it's really nice to hear that kind of input...

Percy

--- David Marshall <VANAGON@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> wrote: > Just got back from 'rallying' the heck out of a 1985 > 2WD Westfalia camper > with a 1997 Golf AAZ Turbo Diesel (1.9L) engine that > installed for a > customer. > > 1.9L Motor stats: > Thermostat: 80C (176F) > Turbo: Stock K03-006 > Boost Level: Set to max out at 0.8BAR (12PSI) > Timing: 0.80mm (stock). > Fueling levels: Stock. > Intake system: Custom 2.5" aluminium pipe between > turbo and factory Vanagon > air box (very quiet!!). > Air Box Filter: Paper. > Muffler: 2.5" with a single free flow muffler. > Mounting Angle: 15 Degree with Fast Forward mounting > kit. > > Van Stats: Stock 1985 Westfalia - empty > Transmission: 4 Speed with stock gearing > Tires: 195/75R14 - stock diameter > Extras: VDO Exhaust Temp Gauge - probe before turbo > VDO Oil Temp / Oil Pressure / Boost Gauge > > Environment: 600m/2000ft above sea level, 10C/50F, > overcast, 99.2kPa/29.3", > Humidity 29% > > The drive I like to do is a 15km (9 mile) section of > highway 97 just north > of Quesnel. It starts in Quesnel, which is in a > valley on the Fraser River > and goes up a series of long steep uphills with > small valleys along the way. > Gain in altitude is about 300m/1000ft. > > The test drive consisted of going down town Quesnel > to fill up on Diesel and > to get the fluids up to operating temp. At the > beginning of the first big > hill the oil temp was 80C (175F), exhaust was about > 175C (350F) - 200C > (400F), water gauge was just above the white 'cool' > section. At the end of > this section driving FAST (max speed was 135km/h > (85mph) average about > 110km/h (70mph) the oil temp was just over 100C > (212F), water temp was 1/2 > between the LED and cold, the maximum EGT I saw was > 600C (1100F) for about 2 > to 3 seconds, during full boost 0.7 to 0.8 BAR (10 > to 12PSI) durations of > more than 10 seconds the average EGT was between > 425C (800F) and 500C > (900F), as soon as you take the foot off the > accelerator, the temps would > immediately go down, driving on the flats at 100km/h > (62 mph) was resulting > in 230 (450F) to 320C (600F) EGTs. Outside temp was > 10C (50F) - I expect > these numbers to change a bit on a scorching hot > day. > > So overall, I was VERY impressed with the > performance of this motor in the > Westfalia. This van with a 1.9TD certainly > outperforms a 2.1L wasserboxer, > I never took the van out of 4th gear and never > dropped below 95km/h (60 mph) > (only occurred once) on any of the hills. I think > this is pretty darn > decent for a 75hp Diesel motor. In a 2.1L > wasserboxer (even my 112hp > TriStar) I had to attack the 1st hill in 3rd gear > and maybe achieve 95km/h - > I did the same hill in 4th with the Diesel and it > never dropped below > 95km/h! I think having the torque below 3000 RPM is > what really counts on > our Vanagons. The 1.9TD has the same torque as the > 2.1wbx only 1000 RPM > lower. > > Just a note on Exhaust Temperature gauges aka > Pyrometers, well, at least VDO > gauges anyhow. This business of using the correct K > sender style wire for > the entire length of the run is a bunch of bull! I > went out an bought a > spool of the correct "yellow wire, red wire" cable > so that I can have the > same stuff from the probe to the gauge. Just for > the heck of it I ran some > good speaker wire from the front to the back too and > switched the wires back > and forth - no difference in readings - at least not > in the 400 to 600F > range anyhow. My engineer friend at the pulp mill > told me that the correct > lead wire is only necessary if you have a self > powering gauge or need > resolution better than 10 degrees. The VDO gauge > requires 12V to operate. > The Pyrometer measures the difference of voltage at > the end of the K sender > wire and good quality copper wire will have so > little resistance that it > won't make a difference that you can see on a > powered analog gauge like the > VDO gauge where each gradient is 200F . He was > right! > > David Marshall > > Fast Forward Automotive Inc. > 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road > Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 > > http://www.fastforward.ca > mailto:sales@fastforward.ca > Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160 > > - Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions > - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and > Importation > - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models > > > Due to the large volume of email we receive, > PLEASE include previous > emails when responding. This will allow us to read > the complete dialogue > in one message and will result in quicker and more > accurate responses. > >