Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:09:47 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: problems installing second battery
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

The isolator is not wired according to the maker's directions. You mentioned this as item 3 in your list of possible problems. The wiring diagram on your web page is from a 1974 that someone wired a second battery to. Yours is nothing like that and can't work as shown.

Waterboxer Vanagon batteries are not wired in a typical way found on most cars. The simple reason for this is that the front mounted battery is so far from the alternator. Your problem could probably have been avoided if the installer had a vehicle wiring diagram to look at, assuming he can read one.

The main point I have to make is this. AT THE BATTERY END, the wire that connects charging voltage from the alternator to the battery is the huge BLACK wire that connects from the starter to the battery and NOT any of the red wires. There is a red wire that takes the charging voltage from the alternator to the starter but then it becomes a huge BLACK wire and continues to the battery. The red wires at the battery are all for things that draw from the battery, not charge it. You must connect the isolator in the charging wire and that means leave the red wires in the battery compartment alone as they are not charging wires.

The common way to install an isolator in your vehicle is to mount it in the engine compartment near the alternator. Then move ALL of the red wires from the alternator to the starter battery output post on the isolator. Make a new red wire to connect the alternator to the input of the isolator. You can mount the isolator elsewhere but that makes the wiring job a lot more involved. Keep in mind as I already said, the waterboxer charging wiring is not done in a way that is obvious to most people unless they look at the right wiring diagram.

Mark

Joy Hecht wrote: > > My friend Steve (who's very mechanically minded) and I got together to > install my second battery. We ran into some trouble, and we're looking for > advice. > > The full detail, along with a couple of pictures to explain, is on the web > here: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/batteries. The basic situation is that I > bought an Optima yellow-top, and on the instructions of someone in an RV > shop we bought an isolator (the type with two diodes inside to direct > current) that is used by RV folks to connect their second battery. Steve > first wired the old battery to the isolator, and with just that connected > the van wouldn't start. He checked it and played with it but couldn't > figure out why it wouldn't work. It was dark out by then, so we couldn't > experiment further, but he also felt he needed more knowledge than we had. > > If you think you might have any suggestions, please take a look at the > website, which includes the wiring chart we're following, photo of the old > battery explaining what we connected (bad quality, unfortunately, it was > dark when I took it), and a list of hypotheses as to what might be wrong. > And if you reply, PLEASE copy Steve on your email (all those ormswyn > addresses - I don't know which he actually checks) so he'll be able to mull > over your thoughts. He's not on the vanagon list. > > Thank you! At least we didn't have any trouble getting the yellow-top in > the space, drilling out holes for the top connectors to stick out, and so > on. Unlike me, Steve isn't phased by mechanical stuff, and does have tools, > and does know cars and electricity! > > Joy > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > Joy Hecht > and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon > and Henrietta, sad-eyed orangutan who waltzes with Matilda and me > and Bicycle and Kayak, who ride on Matilda > and my 2002 green Prius, waiting for our return from the vanadventures > For musings about life and the vanadventures: > http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++