Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:43:06 EST
From:         George Mercer <Gamercer@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Raising poptop with kayak on roof
Comments: To: appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET

Joy, A rack mounted to the poptop could take the poptop off by lifting the kayak or canoe along with the poptop while your are driving at highway speeds.

One can use double Yakima towers on top of each other with a long bolt to keep them together mounted to the rain gutters. The other option (the one I opted for) is to use the highest towers from Thule. They mount on the rain gutter and clear the poptop.

To allow the poptop to open, place one rack in front of the poptop. The back or rear rack would have to be placed at the very back/end of the rain gutters. The Thule will not allow the poptop to open but I've thought of cutting 3 inches off the widest part of the towers foot on the trailing side to allow the tower to be placed back another 3" and that should allow the poptop to clear the rear rack.

Today, I take off the canoe and rear rack to pop the top.

I don't know how much clearance there is with the Yakima solution.

Good luck, George '88 Westy, Thule rack and 16' Wenonah Adirondack Canoe