Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:41:17 -0500
From:         Belinda Gilman <wondergirl13@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Value and Practicality of a 1983 Vanagon Van?

I'm considering buying a VW Vanagon camper that I know will be for sale soon. Details about the vechile are at bottem of e-mail. I live in Ontario, so they're hard to come by around here, but I was curious as to what the approximate value would be and how travel worthy it is. I want to use it to travel North America as well as use it in the city to take my dogs to various parks (I have a dog service business where I take dogs on nature hikes and board them in my home). I would not use it too much in the city for errands etc.

It would be my first VW van.so I'm a novice.and am willing to put work into it, but I don't want it breaking down in the middle of the city w/ my dogs in it. And I don't know much about auto mechanics, but am a 'do it yourself' kinda girl, but I don't know where to begin to start to learn b/c all of the info. on the internet is very specific and sporadic. Anyone recommend a good book to help w/ this?

Traveling long distance w/ it for fun, would be okay b/c there's not the time constraint. Is it good for an all purpose vehicle? Or better as a second vehicle for recreational purposes? I know it's cold in the winter.I'm assuming letting it warm up before driving it, perhaps a block heater for engine on really cold nights and a space heater inside for passenger comfort would do the trick.yes? no? Can anyone help w/ some information? Or point me in the direction to find this info?

Here's what I know about this vehicle:

1983 Volkswagen Vanagon, "Getaway" camper conversion,

Engine: 2.1L 4 cyl., approx. 193,000 km (aprx. 1 000 miles), completely rebuilt approx. 2 years ago

Major recent servicing: CV joint (last month), new transmission (last year), new radiator (3 years ago), new gas tank (4.5 years ago?)

Camper features:

functional propane stove w/ 3 elements, functional propane furnace w/ thermostat, 10gal. water tank (fills from exterior), heavy duty auxiliary battery behind/under driver's seat (gets trickle charge whenever car is driven) - this battery powers furnace fan, lights in passenger/camper section, range hood fan - there is a 110v a/c outlet in the back to plug stuff in.

Propane refrigerator needs repair (igniter doesn't work)

There is an amplifier (under passenger seat) and 4 decent speakers, all you'd need to do is get a basic CD or cassette unit to have a great-sounding stereo again. One of the rear speakers has come loose from its mount, needs re-attachment.

The plexiglass skylight should probably be replaced at some point - it cracked around the edges and was leaking badly until I did a very ugly (but functional) caulking job on it. It doesn't leak any more, but originally there was a screen and you could crank it slightly open for more ventilation (not recommended while driving though).

It gets great gas mileage, and generally runs pretty smoothly, although when it's extremely cold out, it needs to warm up for quite a while. The higher the octane, the better - it runs best on Sunoco 94 octane if you can get it, but 91 is OK. Sometimes in very damp conditions it can have a tendency to stall until it's warmed up, but that's something that can be adjusted. Mostly that was due to air leaks and cracks in some of the various rubber fittings in the air-intake system under the van, most of which have now been located and replaced.

Because it is a rear engine with water cooling, the coolant system runs the full length of the vehicle - so it takes a lot of coolant! And if there are air bubbles in the system, sometimes the red temp light on the dash will suddenly start flashing. Usually it means nothing, I've never actually had it overheat - just means the coolant system is due to be bled again to get rid of bubbles (which mostly solves the problem, but not necessarily 100%). If you do get the flashing light coming on suddenly from a seemingly normal temp, it's probably nothing, but it doesn't hurt to check the coolant level occasionally anyway (the rear license plate flips forward to check both this and the oil levels). The battery is located just behind and under the front passenger seat.

Thanx, Wonder Girl :-)