Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:06:40 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Second battery, the story on relays.

I just installed a hella relay on sunday after fretting over which route to take for months.

A relay works like a switch with an electromagnet in it. When current is applied to the electromagnet, it closes a switch. When no current is applied, the switch opens.

The switching that the hella relay does is to join or separate the two circuits, cranking battery circuit and auxiliary battery circuit.

When the two circuits are jointed, the alternator charges both batteries. When they are separated by the switch, they are independent of each other.

The clever trick with the hella is that you use the wire that makes the alternator idiot light come on to power the electromagnet I was talking about. So, when the idiot light comes on--which is only when the alternator is charging--the two circuits are joined and both batteries get charged. When there's no current from the idiot light circuit--like when the engine is not running--the two circuits are separate. Therefore, one battery can totally discharge running auxiliary stuff (or cranking the engine) and not affect the other battery.

The hella relay also has a fuse built into it, which is cool.

The blue wire out of the alternator (seen again under the drivers seat) is used as the trigger circuit in this setup.

With a relay, there's almost no overhead compared to a diode. It doesn't compromise the marginal vanagon charging system further than it already is.

I will send you a sketch of the wiring diagram if you need it.

I take no credit for any of the above, the good people on this list and the diesel list provided all the information. I'm just encapsulating it for your convenience.

FYI, I went to a battery store and bought a deep cycle that I thought would fit, but it wouldn't. So I went to autozone and saw the price on the Optima yellow top and left the store. I came home and installed a lawn and garden battery (brand new) and today I turned on all the interior lights and two small 12v fans to test its longevity.It turned out to be a test for brevity. I did this at 2:00, at 7:30 the battery level indicator was showing the red LED. That's just not long enough, especially when you consider the drain that the sink pump, computer and other gadgets would add.

So I guess I'll skulk back down to autozone for the optima unless anyone has any leads on other batteries that would fit the space in a diesel westy in front of the right rear tail light. Plenty of footprint is available, just not as much height as the usual deep cycle battery requires.

Jim