Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:19:37 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: auto accidents in europe? fish
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>

David

michigan is a no-fault state but as far as i know no-fault insurance covers bodily harm and the damage that you do to others property. i'm not totally up on this it has been a few years since i read the finer details of my policy. i can tell you this if you get into an accident and its not your fault, and you only have the minimum liability insurance i.e. no-fault you can get money to repair your car even though you don't have collision coverage.

this is how it works. the damage has to be over $500 and your insurance company doesn't pay you the money the insurance company of the at fault driver pays the money. this money is called a mini tort (hopefully that spelling is close). anyhow to get this money you have to submit the following to the at fault persons insurance company. 1) a copy of the police report showing that the driver they insured was at fault. 2)three written estimates from body shops to show that the cost of the damage was over $500. i have collected this money once myself and helped a friend collect when he was in an accident. it can often be a pain in the neck to collect especially when the car is no longer mobile and you have to move around to three shops for estimates. often if you go to smaller independent shops with some pictures they will be willing to write you an estimate from the pictures.

jonathan