Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:17:51 -0800
From:         vanagon <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sound Deadener Installation Concerns
Comments: To: James V <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET>

James, I too have ran across this same area of working on vehicles. In the old days we used undercoating and fiberglass matting and built it up on the inside of the doors. It really makes the whole vehicle feel allot more solid. I would hate to be the body guy now having to scrape that crud off the inside of the quarter panels we did. I have used Dynamat a couple times and I don't really like it much at all. For one, its super expensive for what it is. It also is very heavy and more so than needs to be for what it does. It also uses a glue that makes a complete mess if you try to remove it, again overkill. In a vanagon you could easily add several hundred pounds of that stuff and several hundred bucks doing what the rice boys do in their cars with the stereo installs.

The stuff in the back of your vanagon over the engine deck, behind back seat and up front in the footwells is definitely there for sound deadening and heat insulation. It is put on very well to not allow water to easily get in between the metal and the material. If you have ever removed any of it, you will notice it is very well stuck on. In the front doors and the slider and the large panel under on the drivers side VW put some smaller tar based cardboard sound deadeners on the inside of the metal to stop the ringing tin sound of a large sheet metal panel its not much material but it works great. I have picked up a few of these in good shape at junkyards and used them in interior body panels. you can use simple adhesive and if needed remove them. They work great and are not overly heavy like Dynamat.

Most folks don't seem to car about weight much but also do not realize how MUCH weight they add with each various project, second batteries, additional relays, wiring, Dyna mat, bigger speakers, subs, bigger tires, wheels, consoles, carpets, mats, stuff you always carry in the van, and, and, and , it all adds up. Before you know it your cool outfitted vanagon weighs in allot more than a stocker and we wonder why are mileage and performance hurt.

Anyway, if you want an alternative to Dynamat get some heavy construction felt like #30 or #60 and cut it into the shape and use a MILD contact adhesive that will keep it attached for then next 10 years or so like 3M #77 spray on adhesive, it is not that strong of a bond use it sparingly and you will be able to remove the asphalt felt at a later time.

Lastly, the difference between no sound deadening and just a tiny bit in the middle of a door will give you 95% of what you will get by coating the entire inside skin of the door with 50lbs of Dynamat.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James V" <tornadored@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 1:13 PM Subject: Sound Deadener Installation Concerns