Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:11:17 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Raising poptop with kayak on roof
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

At 11:20 AM 3/19/2004, Joy Hecht wrote: >Here's the details: They kayak is 19 feet long and weighs 48 pounds. I >have it strapped on about as far back as it can reasonably go, so as to have >the weight at the bottom of the poptop. It overhangs the back of the van >but not the front. I am 5'3" tall and have very good upper body strength >for a woman (years of rowing crew, swimming, kayaking, and lifting weights). >With nothing on the roof it's a bit of a stretch for me to get the poptop >fully up and pull it down, but not a problem.

How much overhang is there, and how much weight can you reasonably hang off the end of it?

Or reinforce the roof and add a couple brackets on top to accept a suitably sized stick of wood or metal square tubing with a couple feet of overhang -- use a come-along or 3-4-part block and tackle to tension as many garage-door springs as will suffice; then unrig it or not when the top is secure. Do the calculations carefully for moments and forces, and I'd suggest talking to a structural engineer or similar about the roof reinforcements, and paying great attention to stress-raisers when doing the fiberglass work. And do use safety wires in the springs.

Lots of ways to vary that last, trading force and distance back and forth, using a bottle jack to tension the springs etc...but I'd go with something with as much overall length and as much overhang as would both comfortably stow inside or out, and give a decent angle of pull to a hard point at the rear of the van. Of course ultimately your overhang is limited by being far enough from the ground when the top is up to hang a weight from. Might not take all that much of a weight in that case...

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"