Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:31:04 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia font

Hi Jim,

Continuum bold is good enough for most people, and IMHO it's as close as you'll ever get. The oblique W and A are known as "Swash Caps", and were typically sold as supplement to the original used only for titling. Unfortunately, the swash caps haven't been digitized yet.

In the 1970's Graphic Artists relied on hand lettering using technologies and typefaces that did not survive the transition to desktop publishing. Especially in the case of a logo design. One-off designs were the rule, rather than the exception. Desktop publishing may be quicker and cheaper, but it has also robbed us of many skilled artisans who used to make a good living at custom logo design.

When I did the WESTFAKIA logo I traced an original WESTFALIA logo and created my own K. This is how a 1970's artist would have done it, if they hadn't access to a full typeface or if they didn't like the original K. I did it again for the WESTRAILER Logo, creating my own R.

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/WESTFAKIA.PDF http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia/Westrailer/ The%20Westrailer%20Page_files/WESTRAILER.jpg

If you're a capable graphic artist, you can do the same. But if you plan to sit and wait until a perfect version of the font comes along you had better be prepared to do a lot of sitting. Or download my PDF and work from that. I promise not to sue if it's used for non-commercial purposes. If you do plan on using it for commercial purposes, drop me a line and we can talk.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.geocities.com/busesofthecorn