Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:10:51 -0700
From:         Don in Phoenix <02BuellS3T@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: saggy westfalia butt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Steele" <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sun 21 March 2004 21:38 Subject: Re: saggy westfalia butt

> Jeff, et al: > While I agree with all that Don in PHX has posted regarding springs and > shocks, new shocks did not heal the sag in my 87 Westy (it sagged exactly as > you described). > > The following is a post that was forwarded from M. Wagner a year or so ago > when I made the same request as yours. I followed his instructions last > summer and the van now sits level and I've experienced no adverse effects in > ride, bounce or shock absorption. > HTH

>SNIP Instructions<

> FWIW, I only needed to use two of the "doughnuts" on each side. I also used > a 4' 2"x4" and an 8"x8" block as a fulcrum instead of using a spring > compressor. > Stephen Steele > Chillicothe OH > > '87 Westy "Franz" > '84 Westfalia "Fritz" Son #2 is trying to sell his 68 Karmaan Ghia so he > can buy this wonderful Westy!!! > '82 Caddy VW Diesel P.U. Unknown future???? > '74 MGB My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 > '93 Chevy S-10 > '91 Jetta Diesel My daily driver > '02 Jetta Wagon VR6 Wife's car > Ex Vans: > '91 Caravelle "Hans"...1995-2003 Now with Son #1 > '81 Vanagon from 1985-1990

Some things to note on this:

What you are doing is "preloading" the springs. By doing this, you shorten the spring which stiffens the effective spring rate. Some cautions are in order about this process, however. Depending on how much the springs are compressed, coil bind can be an issue. This is where under heavy compression, the coils of the spring come in contact with each other. This is bad because it will cause wear and will rub the paint off, which may lead to rust. And if enough of the coils get together, you essentially bypass the spring, and have "solid" suspension. This can cause some interesting handling issues if you hit a big enough bump.

But as long as you are careful with how much preload you apply, it can work fine. Motorcycle shock/spring units used this method for years to compensate for load changes (carrying a passenger for instance). Of course the best option is to replace the springs with new ones.

If they are available.

And you are rich.

Don in Phoenix, AZ - still looking for the mythical under $4000 WaterWesty!