Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:11:18 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Help! Problems on the road! Smoke! or something that smells
              like it, anyhow...
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Another thing bro! Don't ever remove the expansion tank pressure cap!!!!!!! when the engine is hot, this cap is like a radiator cap, kind a stupid to do so!!!!!

If you have no pressure wile removing this cap when the engine is hot you have a non-pressurise coolant system that will result in a overheating especially at freeway speed. Check that temp gauge over 55mph.

Have a pressure test done: http://www.benplace.com/pressure_test.htm

Leak / loss of pressure can be internal or external.

Most common external coolant lost in order: -Expansion tank cap -Expansion tank (Crack) -Front and rear heater core (Easy fix on the road with clamp blocking the flow) -Thermostat housing (Seal, bleeder screw, crack in body, bad clamp) -Rusty metal cooling line -Front rad bleeding screw / front rad -Water pump -Heads studs leaking -Cooling hoses (mostly at junction, but VW hoses are very good)

Diagnostic of a external coolant lost: -Coolant lost under the van -Coolant corrosion at hoses junction, head gasket, head stud,

Internal lost: -Head cracks, can be oil into combustion chamber (Black/blue smoke), coolant in combustion chamber (White smoke), coolant into oil, oil into coolant. -Bad seal at top and/or bottom end of cylinders sleeve -Faulty water pump

Diagnostic of internal leak: -Oil going into the cooling system (Mostly when engine is cold). Coolant rise slightly with a brownish color -Coolant going into the oil (Mostly when engine is hot). Oil level rising with coolant color/smell in it.

High temp other problem: -Bad thermostat -Clogged frond rad -Faulty rad fan or sender -Bad water pump -Pited mating surface where water pump is.

Damn, this is why it is call a wasser leaker.

Cheers, Ben (Back from FL) http://www.benplace.com/