Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:22:00 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: ok.. last time for 84 auto trans into an 89 vanagon
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

jesse johnson wrote: > Seems that most people think the 84 1.9 ltr. trans will bolt right into > an 89 2.1 ltr. vanagon... > if anyone has done this on the list.. and know for sure.. please > contact me... Chris put an 85 trans into 89 no problem.. so i would > assume that a late 84 would be the same.. > not related.. my starter went bad today.. and when ordering.. i asked > if there is a difference in part number for and 84 auto trans starter > and an 89. and there is.. > but they also make a starter that will work for both.. hmmmm. > any thoughts? > thanks everyone... > jesse > 89 carat >

Once upon a time I rebuilt the AT from my '84. I bought an '84 core for $100 just in case it had some parts I could use. It came with the final drive with a starter attached. That starter laid under my bench for about 7 years. This past fall the starter on my '91 AT quit (short cable from solenoid to starter corroded away; keep it greased volks). While that starter was gone for rebuilding I installed the starter from the '84 and it worked OK. As I recall it is about an inch shorter than the newer model and probably has a little less power, but that's probably more dependent on the condition of the brushes and commutator, etc.

Larry A.