Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:46:44 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      diagnosis of brake issues  - what do you all think?  (was: Help!
              Smoke!

Thanks to everyone to replied to my smokey email.

Matilda's health is still uncertain. Following your suggestions I sniffed carefully all over (felt a bit like a dog sniffing around!) but couldn't identify any clear source of the smell. The engine smelled, the front smelled, the middle smelled. The new Optima battery (not yet connected) looked fine and didn't smell. No visible problems around the fuses. Heat fans work fine. I opened up the coolant reservoir again this morning when the van was nice and cold, and once again the coolant came gushing out. Then I realized that the level of coolant in the reservoir behind the license plate was around two inches above the "max" line, which certainly wasn't my doing, as I haven't put coolant in since December and it was at the appropriate level two days ago.

A friend who knows more about cars (though not vanagons) had a look. He thought I had problems with one of my cylinders not working up to snuff, and didn't really know where the smell came from. It didn't help that the smell had rather dissipated when he was looking at it. He thought the cylinder problem was causing pressure which was forcing the coolant into the upstream reservoir, and that this might be a head gasket problem. I have absolutely no idea if he knew what he was talking about.

Then I phoned Transporter Werks in Raleigh, and had a long chat with them. They were really nice. So I decided to make use of my high-end AAA and have the van towed to Raleigh, since if there was a coolant problem I didn't want to make it worse by driving it, and if there was an electrical problem I didn't want to cause a fire.

Sean at Transporter Werks spent a bunch of time looking at things, while my friend Cris whom I'm visiting worked on her dissertation on a bench in the sun and her big black dog gambolled around the repair lot with the two big black dogs who live at Transporter Werks. He - Sean, I mean, not the dogs - sniffed and poked and prodded and looked at the engine and the wires under the dash and the heat and the wires around the engine. He said it smelled to him like brake pads, not wiring, though he thought it quite reasonable that everyone had suggested wiring. My mechanical buddy Steve in Maryland and I had bled the brakes, but not changed anything else, so new brake pads weren't the problem.

Then we went for a drive and Sean said he thought my front bearings needed adjusting or were worn and this was causing the wheels to sit a bit wrong and putting constant pressure on the brakes, which was causing them to overheat causing the smell.

I left the van there for further examination - so much for going to Savannah tomorrow. Should hear back from Sean with a more definite diagnosis tomorrow.

How does this sound for plausibility to any of you?

Joy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon and Henrietta, sad-eyed orangutan who waltzes with Matilda and me and Bicycle and Kayak, who ride on Matilda

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++