Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:24:51 -0600
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Very soft brake pedal unless it is pumped?
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

I'll have to think on it some more but when master cylinder's go bad they have a few other signs. Generally the pedal will go to the floor, it maybe very slow but they will eventually get there.

You may have to press on it so hard you'd think you were going to break it off or bend it. Then there should be traces of brake fluid leaking or dripping from the master cylinder. Pull the vacuum booster hose/line and you should find some fluid in the line. If none of these other things are present and you pedal does not go to the floor no matter how hard you press on it, the master should be fine.

Look at all joints, fittings and wheel cylinders for signs of fluid, you may have a loose fitting that will allow a small fluid leak but air will be drawn back into the system when pedal is released. And it is possible to have a leak so small that it will not let fluid out but will let air in. An air molecule is much smaller than that of the oil/fluid and does not have the surface tension that all fluids have.

Re-torque all your bleeders, they may not be closed tight enough, or there maybe a small piece of dirt that has kept them from seating properly. Loosen them let a small amount of fluid out and then re-torque.

To check them for leaks, use a small hose (very tight fit over bleeder) and place into a clear bottle with "graduation markings" (or make lines on it or tape, etc). Jar must sit still and level mark fluid (water line) work brake pedal several times. Review jar to see if the level has moved down any.

You might just take some silicone and force a small amount into the hole in the bleeder which should seal off any air that might try to enter. If the problem goes away, then you were "back feeding air" into the system.

Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joy Hecht" <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:26 PM Subject: Re: Very soft brake pedal unless it is pumped?