Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:30:55 -0400
From:         Herr Wibo Fichten <wibo.fichten@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm about to give up...
Comments: To: zolo <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Did you change your transmission lately or is it simply out of adjustment?

I changed an 84 for a new (SA?) transmission and there was a difference in the length of some bolt tying the linkage rod to the transmission, don't remember which exactly. This required some adjusting, but my problem was more that the shifter resisted going over far enough to the right to enter in 3rd and 4th. Once in gear, no problem.

The different bolt length is referenced in Bently. It has something to do with the mounting tab being thicker or place further back.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Wibo Fichten

----- Original Message ----- From: "zolo" <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 17:56 Subject: I'm about to give up...

I am adjusting the transmission shift linkage. The second and the fourth gears are not going in deep enough, only get to the top of the gears and they would just grind if I let the clutch up. From neutral the first and third have enough travel, but the second and fourth have only half the distance. What is wrong here? How do I get more distance for that two gears. Moving the rod further in front, only results in the shift knob position going more forward but does not add more movement into those gears. I can't find in the Bentley any reference. Zoltan