Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:05:09 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Friday Vanagon Gloat: almost NVC

I stopped in for an oil filter at my mechanic's shop yesterday. I was in line behind a young woman with a black late-model VW something-or-other. I guess it was a Jetta, but I couldn't see it very well and was occupied with checking out an 85 Syncro right outside the window.

The mechanic spent some time looking at her car with her, and finally came back in the building without her. He was shaking his head.

It seems that her VW factory CD player quit playing, and the dealer wants (I could have heard this wrong but I don't think so) $2000 to replace it. She was at the shop to get an aftermarket player put in, but Nick had to tell her that it would void the car's warranty. It seems that the two parts (front player and rear changer) are connected on the wiring system's bus, and VW won't hook up diagnostic equipment to a car which has any other than VW stuff on it.

Then he started telling me about the $600 timing belt changes due every 65K miles on the new TDIs.

My vanagon felt better than ever on the drive home.

Jim