Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:40:42 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Skipping and Stumbling when wet???
Comments: To: antelopewesty@ADELPHIA.NET

In a message dated 3/26/04 7:08:18 PM, antelopewesty@ADELPHIA.NET writes:

<< Any guess on what to check next? >>

Kevin,

Since you are in the Land of the Winter Salt, I'm going to describe what might be the worst scenario, but it happened to me. Whenever I drove a van with a steel gas tank I had similar problems. It was in the winter and the stumbling occurring consistently on warmer days. At first I blamed it on watered gas from the station I normally used. It was watered gas alright, but it wasn't watered whenever it came out of the fuel pump at the station. My gas tank had some pin holes on the top which, during warm days, would allow the melting slush to leak into the tank.

The stumbling had occurred at other times of the year, but it was so fleeting that I could not track the problem and a restart always seemed to cure it. I guess the shaking of the van during the restart agitated the water enough to disperse it through the fuel And, I never had gas leaking during refueling. Once there was enough water in the fuel that it was no longer an intermittent problem I was able figure out what the problem was. Perhaps you are getting water in the fuel.

George