Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:19:39 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Auctions
Comments: To: oliver8@TDS.NET

In a message dated 3/26/04 3:55:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, oliver8@TDS.NET writes:

> I've run into it here in Wisconsin too. The auctions are usually held on > some farm or fair grounds. The public comes and goes as they please. You > have to bring a team to pick up what you've bought or it just might not be > there later. > > Yes, if caught, and the thief can be prosecuted. Easier said than done, "it > was a mistake," "I picked up the wrong thing," "my friend said he bought it > and asked me to hold it for him," "the guy told me he'd pay me for hauling > it to his house for him." The list goes on. > > You bid, you buy, you load or you lose! > > I bought the entire contents of a large barn and was told I had 24 hours to > clear it all out. Even with a moving crew it would have taken a week or two. > So I got the best stuff first and when the others started coming and > "helping" themselves. > > I complained to the Auction/Real Estate broker (farm was sold too) and was > shown in the contract that I had 24 hours to get my stuff but it was not > their problem to protect it in anyway, that was all my responsibility. > > I had 24 hrs to come onto the property to remove it all. After that I was > trespassing, unless I had an agreement with the new owners. Also, if I did > not get it all out, I could be charged the cost of it's removal and > disposal. > > New owners would not return my calls (who knows where I was calling) So > Again, I took my lumps, got what I could and let other "clean" the barn out > for me. > > Paul >

a few years ago there was this big auction down near the ports in deleware..some of you may have remember this one, it was posted up to NEATO, VVWCA, and around in the vw, italian, and british car circles.. the auction was of cars/parts on this fellows property..he had worked for the Port of delaware - wilmington - in the '50's and '60's, on the docks where the cargo ships would bring over new cars from europe.. well, this fellow was into foriegn cars, and somehow managed to strike a deal with the importers/shippers where he had obtained dozens (i think it was almost 100 or so) european cars - MG's, VW's, Fiats, Opels, MB, and other odd makes of cars with zero or very little miles on them - that were damaged during shipment in the holds of the cargo ships.. he had all these cars on his property..really rare stuff like 23 window microbuses with 10 miles on them that had crunched noses where they rolled into something in the cargo hold or whatever.. well, anyway these cars all sat for years on this guys property..some inside, some outside..and he had alot of parts too.. then to make the long story short, he passed away..and then there was the auction... well, from those people i know who went to the auction (i wasnt there) the auction was on saturday, then you had from then to sunday to pick up your purchases.. during the auction, a friend of mine who went said people were pulling parts from one "lots" and putting them into another, mixing stuff, you name it..it was a free for all.. a friend of mine bought a low mileage Sunbeam Alpine at the auction...but he had to come back the next day to get it, with a trailer.. he showed up on sunday to pick it up just as some other guy was loading it onto a tow dolly.. some heated words ensued and the other guy took it off the dolly.. people were just taking things that other people bought.. someone else had bought a old oval window beetle and that too had been hauled off before the buyer could pick it up.. the auction company didnt care..they got their money and had washed their hands of the whole deal..

chris