Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:22:59 -0700
From:         Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU>
Subject:      1981 fridge story

I just hooked up my propane system this past Tuesday, and was impressed. Before I bought the van the regulator was shot so I just have never put the new one on.

Let me give some background... Bought this 81 Westy from a salvage yard for 500 bucks, chassis/body intact, engine blown in Dec 2000. Spent 1st 2 yrs on blocks while I rebuilt the engine, yanked interior, added soundproofing using Bulley method (modified). She has been running good for 2 yrs but have not had time to finish up some things (like propane system). Put the new regulator on and cut & installed new copper tubing. No leaks. So I tried to fire up the fridge. Poof, second try it lit. Mind you this fridge has been offline for over 5 yrs and is at least 23 yrs old. Left it on for 3 hrs and checked the beers I put in it... result = ice cold beer. Went camping (kayaking) the next day for 3 days. Stayed ice cold and lit with no issues.

When I bought the van I did a title search and contacted the vans previous owners just for kicks. The most recent owner said he sold it because it was constantly needing new heads (the cooling of the fins was so plugged it was a joke). He also told me he could never get the fridge to work at all, always used a Coleman cooler when camping. Ha ! how hilarious to me. The fridge works flawlessly on all 3 modes and is downright COLD.

Just wanted to share this.

By the way, I think I might be selling this van soon due to my Syncro project nearing completion. Wife wont let me have 2 Vanagons :-) I will also include a spare motor and tranny out of the 82 parts van I have.

Sean Garrett 81 Westy (his) 95 EVC (hers) 87 Syncro (2.5L Subie project) 82 Parts Vanagon (need a part ?) Central Arizona