Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:35:14 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steering wheel

Two different folk posting comments for steering wheels, and I hadn't yet gotten a chance to put up a review.....

I recently received my SA steering wheels (ordered from Tiico). This is a direct replacement for existing Vanagon steering wheels. No adapters needed.

The steering wheel is leather bound (black only) and the center section is more deeply vee shaped than regular Vanagon steering wheels. This means that the instruments have less chance of being obscured when the steering wheel is turned in normal driving (not parking).

The steering wheel rim is a bit thicker than the standard vanagon steering wheel rim. This might be an issue for folks with small hands, but I found it very comfortable.

When installing, you might find that you install the wiring for the horn backwards. You'll discover if you did very quickly because the horn will sound when the ignition key is turned on. Reverse the wiring and everything should be fine.

I like this wheel. It really adds a luxurious feel to my Vanagon. It's the same diameter as the regular stock steering wheel, and the only draw back to it is that the turn signal and wiper arms now seem too high up. But I adjust rapidly so that's only a minor issue. I might want to change the leather color on the steering wheel of the GoldBrick (as the black is distinctly at odds with the dark brown interior) On the other paw, I might just update the rest of the interior of the GoldBrick...The interior (horn section) of the steering wheel has a nice grain that closely matches the leather of the rim and (as typical of late VW design) looks quite luxuriouis and not plasticy as so much Japansese plastic appears.