Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:44:17 -0800
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: collison insurance on 83 westy?
Comments: To: vw4x4@FYI.NET

So in this case, you are wrong Eric. Actuaries determine the possibilities of an insurance company having to pay off and determine the premium required for the insurance company to make money. It's not your money going into his accident, it's the Insurance Company's.

If the actuaries aren't very good, if the info the insurance company uses isn't up to date or relavent, they lose. Like a casinio. It's like life insurance. Do you pay more if I get snuffed out early in life? No. But on the whole, the insurance company will make money, not many of them go under. It's all based upon the bets placed according to actuary tables developed by people much smarter than you or me.

If he is willing to find a company that will guarantee the value of his van, then that company takes the risk, not the insurance buying public at large.

tim in san jose

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Zeno" <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 12:02 PM Subject: Re: collison insurance on 83 westy?