Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:39:22 -0400
From:         Herr Wibo Fichten <wibo.fichten@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Valve guide removal / replacement

Vanavitches,

Thanks all for the informative answers. I did quite a search in the archives and I'm convinced the archives are much enriched for your postings!

The reason I was asking is because I am close to the 1.2mm wiggle specified in Bently - with a used valve (no new one to test with ) But I think a good clean-up and light lapping should put me back in business.

I'm reproducing a response from: "Doug in CA" <vanagon@astound.net who P-mailed me a good detailed response that I think deserve the bandwidth / archive space

Thanks again to all

Fichten

> To: "Herr Wibo Fichten" <wibo.fichten@ROGERS.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 03:43 Subject: Re: Valve guide removal / replacement

The valve guides do wear out especially the exhaust side. The intakes run cooler and do not wear as quickly. You can check them for play with a new valve when the springs are out. if you can move the valve side to side much they are worn.

We used an air chisel with a pilot end that goes inside the valve guide and has a flat just undersize of the outside diameter. You drive them out from the combustion chamber side to the rocker side. The guides have a shoulder that bottoms against the rocker side of the head.

They come in various oversizes because when you press them in and out you open up the bore in the head and you need a tight fit. The inside diameter is standard for the valve stems at I believe is 8mm or perhaps larger like 9 or 10mm. The air cooled beetle engines were 8mm stems.

Once you press in new guides you have to re-touch up the valve seats to match or the new valves may not seat correctly.

Silicon Bronze is I believe still the standard,

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Herr Wibo Fichten" <wibo.fichten@ROGERS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:02 PM Subject: Valve guide removal / replacement