Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:36:05 -0500
From:         Phil Walker <phil.walker@BROOKS.COM>
Subject:      E-code initial impressions and some questions (long)

Funny Thing...I wrote this email up on Friday and sent it to the list...It never made it. It got caught in the list hiccup.

I just wanted to let everyone know my impression of the E-codes I just installed. I installed one at a time so I could compare the difference to the old lenses. I also did a "hack" just for the purposes of the this comparison. To understand the difference between the old and new I used the existing wiring without adding devoted lines, new relays, etc. In fact I had some crappy Chinese H-4 sockets that I mod'd the leads so they would just plug into the existing 9004 sockets. I know this is BAD, but I wanted to try and make a quick comparison. I'm not that happy with these sockets for full time use (see the question at the end).

I installed the right E-code and the left light I left stock. I aimed the lens using the setting of the stockers as a starting point. Pointing the lights at my garage immediately showed the difference in the light patterns. As we are all painfully aware, the stocker kind of has a pencil point of intense light (pointing down on the road). The E-codes have a well balanced wave of light. On my garage I could see how the E-code pattern definitively cutoff at a specific vertical position. Basically the light formed a horizontal line on my garage that eventually bent up and to the right as the light approximately approached the edge of the van. My assumption is that this is to better light up the side of the road without blinding passing cars. This would be a lousy setup for Britain and Australia (maybe the lights are swapped over there?).

The other thing that should be noted is that the light from the E-codes look DIMMER than the stockers both on my garage and when looking directly at them. I guess with all of the talk of the E-codes and the H-4's made me think I was going to get light from the Sun (further voltage fixes will increase the light output of course). This might really be an optical illusion though, because the pattern of the light is obviously better. I went to a very dark area and stood in front of each light to see the stock pattern and the ecode. With the vertical cut-off of the e-code the lens could actually be pointed up a bit higher and still not blinding passers. The light is very even...nice.

A note, the inside of my stock lens was fairly dirty. A bit of brake cleaner cleaned it up. This might help with the light output, but as has been said many times before more light doesn't solve the problem. It's like putting a higher wattage bulb in the kitchen to help with your reading in the living room.

A couple of questions:

1) Where is the best place to hook into the parking lights to give me some illumination creeping around a campsite? I'm assuming I ca just hook into the wiring going into the corners, but I wanted to see if anyone came up with anything more clever.

2) Has anyone found a source for quality H-4 sockets that have nice wire connections? The ones I have are okay, but I'd certainly be up for possibly a German sourced set.

Overall this upgrade looks like it is going to be a big success. I hate the stock light output and I'm always scared of deer, kids and such. More appropriate light is always a thumbs up for me.

-Phil 89 Westy SLC, UT