Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:58:54 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon unstable idle
Comments: To: Jeff Hartman <jeffhartman11@HOTMAIL.COM>

My experience has been that 9 times out of ten idle problems with 85-91 Vanagons are related to the throttle position switch. This switch lives under the throttle body and is actuated by a plastic cam. Over the years the plastic cam will wear to the point that the switch is not being closed when the throttle is at idle position. You can easily check this without electrical equipment.

Have the van shut off. Go to the rear of the van and open the engine bay Move the throttle lever with your hand slowly to full throttle At this point you should hear a faint click noise. Now slowly move the lever back to throttle position with your hand. Again, right before you are back to idle position your should hear the exact same click noise. Move the throttle lever a few times back and forth and you will hear the noise at full throttle every time. You should hear this noise right before you get to idle. If not then your throttle position switch needs to be adjusted. Bentley tells you how to do this.

If it is adjusted properly then I would suggest testing it with an ohm meter to be sure that the electrical switch is actually working and has zero resistance. If it has resistance then it needs to be replaced. If you find that you need any parts keep me in mind.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com