Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:40:59 -0500
From:         Harold Harper <smugboys@INTRSTAR.NET>
Subject:      Re: On the issue of Drag Coefficient, etc.

I have an '82 Westy that I bought about 6 months ago and has not been my daily drive for several reasons, but my usual daily drive ('90 Subaru Justy) is out of service for about a week causing me to drive the Westfalia. Last week during windy weather I noticed that it steered with difficulty and I attributed the problem to the wind as someone else on the list posted. But for the last couple of days I have driven the Westy in almost no wind conditions and noticed that the front wheels feel very light while steering. What brought this post up was the post by Joy Hecht of Tuesday, March 30 in which she commented on steering problems with her Westy with the boat on top which she attributed to the wind. But in looking at the profile picture of Joy's Westy without the boat on top on her web site (her latest entry) it appears that her Westy shows signs of a slight "squat " in the rear as if she, like me, carries a lot of "stuff" under the rear seat which could cause the Westy to be tail heavy or otherwise out of balance. I should note that my driving involves no additional passengers nor do I have an aux. battery behind the driver's seat as added ballast up front. Any comments about finding the center of gravity in a Westy, or such comments re handling problems?

Harold W. Harper 2868 Beatty's Bridge Road Atkinson, N.C. 28421-9372 (910) 283-1232