Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:09:14 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: 91 Vanagon Blinking Temp Light?
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

Some times a tiny crack - almost invisible - will occur between the posts on the sensor, and will result in the light turning on and blinking. I have had to replace the sensor twice for this problem.

Also try this. Turn on the ignition switch, but DO NOT turn it all the way to start. The light will come on and blink. Count the blinks to 60 or simply count to 60 using the 1001, 1002, 1003 routine. Then the start the engine. The light should go out. It appears that the system has a test mode in which it does some sampling to test the resistance between the terminals of the sensor, and if you start the engine before it is finished, it will sometimes hang and just keep on blinking. This is just an observation I have made on my own 88 GL.

Finally, be sure your coolant mix is fresh, and is 50/50 water/antifreeze. These little beggars (Vanagons) are sensitive to that.

regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver