Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:56:33 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot's STRICT return screening policy
Comments: cc: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

> I recently ordered some parts from Bus Depot, and my order > included a right hand mirror... I got a left hand (driver side) mirror. > > So I call Bus Depot. We determined after checking all the > part numbers that the manufacturer put it in the wrong box in > Germany, not BD's fault. > > But here's the kicker: After going through five minute of > "OK, can you see yourself, is it up-and-down, is the mount > sticking out to the right?..." they want me to send them a > digital picture! > > Has anyone else had to send in digital proof of something as > simple as mirror-handedness? I mean, don't you think they > should take my word for it after the exhaustive phone interview?

You would think that mirror-handedness is simple, but you may be surprised how many people return "wrong-handed" Vanagon mirrors that aren't wrong handed at all! In fact it may be the single most common "duh!" return that we get. (And we get some doozies. :-)

If you look at a Vanagon mirror off of the van, it can look at first glance like it goes on the opposite side of the van from where it really goes. More than once we've sent a customer another mirror, only to have them call back and (sometimes abusively) accuse us of sending them another wrong one. Once we practically FORCE them to go out and physically hold the mirror up to their van, they sheepishly admit had the correct side all along! I'd chalk it up to idiocy, but I must admit that after holding a Vanagon mirror in my hand, I could see how someone might think they got the wrong side if they didn't actually hold it to their van. They forget that the surface that the mirror mounts to is nearly horizontal, not vertical, and this is what throws them off.

That said, it does sound like the rep you spoke to was a bit overcautious. (He likely got burned a few times by the scenario I detailed above, and now is inclined to double and triple check.) I'll have him email you an RA number if he hasn't already.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT