Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:21:00 -0600
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: battery questions
Comments: To: Dylan Kahler <dkahler@UPS.EDU>

I too was having electrical problems with my 85. The previous owner had replaced the alternator twice, replaced the starter a few times, besides replacing the battery (800+ cca) and still was having problems with it not starting. So he sold it to me.

When i got it, it would also quit running or not turn over unless you "wiggled" the ignition terminal on the starter.

The long and short of it (previous posts), I found a jumper wire had melted and many of the connections in the fuse box had over heated causing poor connections.

Replaced burnt wires and cleaned some connections, replaced others, no more problems.

Now it turns the engine over and starts instantly the moment you turn the key and no more dead batteries.

So remove you fuse box and look at all wires and connections.

Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dylan Kahler" <dkahler@UPS.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 6:33 PM Subject: battery questions