Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:17:55 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling hoses and what else?
Comments: To: abagdan@SHAW.CA

In a message dated 3/29/2004 7:58:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, abagdan@SHAW.CA writes:

> : What else should I replace while I am at it? > I would also recommend the plastic Ts that go to the rear heater if you have them. The originals from VW were aluminum on mine and corroded. (VW and I'm sure other vendors have "updated" these Ts to plastic.) And as long as you have the coolant system open might as well replace the coolant expansion tank for about $25. Over the years the plastic gets brittle and mine finally cracked. Better to replace it now than on the road.

Then with the 85 I'm guessing you have that plastic H pipe piece (part number 025 121 438, also called a double T) that is in between the collant expansion tank and the engine. As you may know VW has ingeniously discontinued this part. I have seen www.volkscafe.com sells a reproduction of this piece for about $90. Other vendors may also offer the part. I'd be concerned about the plastic H pipe also being brittle after 19 years and cracking on the road, and I'd have to say $90 now seems a better option than getting stuck in, say, Elko, NV.

I think I just cost you an additional $170.

If that's not enough be prepared for the bleeder valve mounted on the fire wall to be brittle as well. That coats about $50. The weakest point in my opinion is the small diameter (7mm?) hose hook up that runs a hose over to the metal crossover pipe. So be careful when removing and replacing that 7mm(?) hose.

If you need more ways to spend money let me know. I will say there is a great satisfaction in knowing all the coolant hoses and related componenets are new.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA