Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:33:42 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Syncro de Mayo Este 04

A belated notice to announce the East Coast version of Syncro de Mayo for this year. This will be on the 7th, 8th and 9th of May. (Early arrivals can come in on the afternoon of Thursday the 6th).

The main activities will be scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, so please try to be there by 9am on Saturday (we hope to hit the road no later than 10am, and perhaps a bit earlier).

Like last year, this will be held in WV, (about one hour west of Harrisonburg, Virginia) near the George Washington National Forest, where the weekend activities will take place.

Activities scheduled are:

Friday Arrivals. Come in and relax. if you arrive during the day, take a hike. Wildlife is a plenty.

Saturday 10am leave base camp, and head out (via some scenic roads...different than last year) to Reddish Knob. Hopefully the skies will be a little better this year and the view will be visible. Then north along the ridge to the beginning of the first jeep trail.

There is a clearing at the beginning of the jeep trail which we should be at around noon, so we'll stop there, grab our lunches prior to heading on to the introductory jeep trail. This is a rocky, narrow road that should take us a couple of hours to traverse down the mountain.

Then we'll grab another jeep trail back up to the top, cross the mountain and head back to base camp for the pot luck dinner.

Sunday 10am, group photos, door prizes etc. 11am head out, early departures. The die hards can join me on a trek to the top of North Mountain (Monongahela National Forest) near the Smoke Hole (a rocky road, but nowhere near as rough as the jeep trail on Saturday).

Notes: Last years storms have left their mark, I've been clearing fallen trees and branches along the challenge road (still not completely cleared). Based on this, I would not be surprised to find roads in the National Forests similarly still littered with fallen stuff. In short, there may be chain saw work, if someone else hasn't done it first.

Not only the dirt and gravel roads were affected. Several of the paved roads got torn up pretty substantially, and the extended winter means paved roads are pretty rough in spots. I don't know how much will have been done by WV's Department of Transportation by the time of the event.

Cautionary notes: Base camp is on private property. There are known and unknown hazards, including but not limited to wildlife (poisonous snakes, bears, coyotes, etc.) swampy areas, caves and sinkholes. Please take care.