Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:07:08 -0700
From:         Tim Schneider <Tim.Schneider@SYNOPSYS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sedona

Phil..

We have a few favorites.. problem is that right in and around the Sedona area.. they've made pretty much every USFS area day use only (with the exception of the campgrounds in/about Oak Creek Canyon. The aforementioned are very cool at the bottom of the canyone.. (the drive from Flagstaff, down 89a through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona is very cool. You can camp for free in the forest at the head of Oak Creek Canyon (this is about 8-12 miles south of Flagstaff on 89a.. towards sedona) An area called Oak Creek Overlook is nearby.. native americans selling their wares.. you can do some hiking around in the forest there.. an area you'll like see folks rockclimbing (cliffs below)

Like I said.. there are some campgrounds in Oak Creek Cyn, not sure if they take reservations or if they are still first come first served.

Hikes in and around Flagstaff can be found here http://www.azhikers.org/Hikes/northwest.htm

In the Red Rock area.. you'll have to hit some of the more out of the way areas in order to overnight it. Lots of good hiking trails in and around Bell Rock.. the Cathederal Spires area (again.. where us climber types hang out, one of the classic routes of AZ (called "The Mace") is located there.. but it is also a very cool area just to hike in and about.. (easily negotiated with a child carrier)

an excellent single track loop to be had there as well.. go back to 'Submarine rock' and check that out. (you will have to share the road/trail with the pink jeep tours however :-) Bike and Bean in sedona can give you the lowdown on the rides in the area. Look em up on the web.

Drive through Sedona.. look for 'Back O Beyond' road.. hang a right.. its a mile or two to the west of the main road that heads through sedona, and takes you back to I-17 (which eventually leads you back to Mesa)

As an alternative.. a much more fun scenic drive is to head out the back way from Sedona to Prescott.. *OR* down through Clarkdale, then up Mingus Mtn. to Jerome.. This cool mining town has a neat museum and is clinging to the side of the mountain by 'i dont know what'! it's now an enclave for artists and harley riders on the weekend but still is a neat place to check out. Then head up and over Mingus Mtn. (probably cooler up here.. there are USFS sites/places to camp up there I believe as well)

Then you drop down the back side, and you can head straight to Prescott AZ (the old territorial capitol of AZ)

Outside of Prescott is the Granite Mtn. Wilderness area some cool hikes here as well as climbing (closed for raptor nesting to climbers.. but not to hikers I believe?)

more info here..

http://www.azhikers.org/Hikes/sedona.htm#granite

We're in the Mesa/Gilbert area.. there are also cool things to see/do on this side of the Valley as well (out towards the Superstition Wilderness, Tonto Natl Forest.. out near the lakes) also there is the drive up to 4 peaks that would be fun I think

Hope this helps.. there are a lot of things to see/do and I've just hit a few of the highlights, so if you have any specific questions, shoot me an email.

cheers

-tim