Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:28:00 -0600
From:         "Chris M." <busbodger@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ebay Warning
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

Well I got mine out of him. Got out of the prep fees, and made him pick it up from the Bristol, TN dealer when originally I was going to make the drive (from Chattanooga). Also got a vehicle with the mats and the mud flaps which were going to be extra cost items. All in all I got delivery, mats and flaps, and $2500 under the price of the local dealer. Felt good but have since realized I paid about low average for the car so he was happy and I was happy. I had literally shopped 6 weeks and 8 dealers to get this car and though I should have held my ground, I was tired of shopping. This was in '99. 3 months later I was tired of the payments! <DUH! grin!>

Pay off is next month. Going for 300K miles before I sell it, got 220K to go. That I PROMISE will be last car payment, and last new car. That new car smell isn't worth the cost. Back 10 year old cars for me thank you... Was my first and last payment and new car.

I read a book for giggles on buying new cars. Explained the tricks of the trade... We literally had EVERY one tried on us in the book. We obviously had "1st time new car buyer" stamped on our foreheads. Only the last guy was "reasonable". 1st dealer tried to sell us a 2 year old 40K mile CR-V for $2500 over the price of our '99 then new zero mile CR-V. I wanted a 5 speed. 1st dealer said they don't exist. I told him to check the web and his own brochures. He conceeded. They only had autos in stock...

Told us how he'd pick it up from time to time to demo it for customers since 5 speeds were so rare and return it washed. I told him not on his life...

Chris '78 Westy (Corvair powered) '65 Beetle (type IV powered) '99 CR-V (payment powered until next month)

<< I paid a $200 doc fee when I bought our (then) new Honda... I was VERY unhappy about that. >>

Why didn't you laugh at the salesman as soon as he mentioned it? At least, you would have been happy.

George