Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:53:21 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      collison insurance on 83 westy?

What's the list wisdom on collision insurance for, let's say a 1983.5 Westfalia with 150K in very good condtion? My insurance company says they don't recommend collision on cars older than 10 years. In fact the agent did all he could to discourage me from adding it to my current policy.

As far as what the vehicle would be worth to them the agent couldn't tell me. But he did say they wouldn't pay out any additional money on the vehicle to allow for "classic" value if the car is a classic. (I'm not sure what that meant either....read on)

The agent said a good way to get an idea of what the car is worth is to check the auto trader for similar vehicles and that would give me an idea of what the pay out would be if the vehicle was totaled. The value I found today of course would be affected by depreciation as the year goes on, the agent added.

The short of it is collision on the bus would cost an extra $186 a year on my insurance. It kind of seems worth it to me to have the collision, but then again not if they're going to say "20 year old vehicle? Here's your $200, that's what it's worth."

In California does the Westfalia count as an RV and would that offer an insurance break? I'll bet It would need a toilet.

(my buddy just did $3000 worth of damage to his 93 Chevy Caprice Classic LTZ , white with red leather interior. His fault. no collision insurance. The body shop gave him $500. for the car as is. Tough break. That's what got me thinking)

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA