Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:02:18 -0800
From:   Son Of A Vanagon <sonofavanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   91 Kaput & value$$?

Hi List- Thanks to all of the responses to my previous post regarding my 91 Carat with a blown engine. Today (friday 4/2) is the one week anniversary of the engine-blowing incident, sob. I have a few other opinions to ask of you all...

One issue I am battling is the idea of storing the van. I have read posts about the negative aspects of not driving a van regularly... problems with an aging vehicle collecting rot, rodents and rust. I have received several requests to purchase the van for engine transplant projects, what is this van worth?

91 Caravelle 170Kmiles, blown engine (core), Auto trans, Power Everything works, Blue exterior decent paint (usual Ohio rust, very small amount), grey velour interior, weekender pkg (foldup table, jump seats, no interior problems- I just steam cleaned the interior last month!), A/C don't know (I like the wind in my hair), nice aluminum Wheels w/ good tires, new (6 months) muffler, already removed the stereo (kenwood speakers stay). My guess is around $2000 in it's current condition. What's it worth with a new(rebuilt) engine?

Do any of you have sources for cheaper engines? I'm afraid the junkyards around here are not bursting with the 2.1 engines. What can I do for about $2000 to keep the van on the road?

I guess I am fishing for input... I appreciate the suggestions several of you have offered.I am trying to figure out the best thing to do with the van, keeping it off the road for 6-9 months is not going to do anything positve for its overall condition. My goal is to keep the van on the road, as efficiently as possible.

Best to all- Tyler

Ps. I.m driving a borrowed 84 Westy- Hopefully going camping this weekend. Anyone interested in meeting in Athens OH area for a sat night??