Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:19:02 -0700
From:         John Klun <jklun@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: center of gravity and handling in wind / Stay Out of the Wind

List-

Please do not ever draft an 18 wheeler without asking permission first from the driver of the truck. (That's one of the uses of a CB radio). My wife and I have done a lot of cross country driving in our time including drafting fast moving big rigs. A driver once told us at a truck stop they do not like anyone drafting them because they can't see them in their rear views. By the same token, the draftee (you) can't see anything but the ass end of the rig in front. If you intend to draft, call the driver on your CB first and ask permission. If he says yes then go ahead but follow his instructions. It's for your own safety. We once drafted a big rig for 400 miles across New Mexico with the driver's permission. We asked first and he instructed us on how close to get to him, to watch his brake lights (he worked out signals with us) and to enjoy the ride. We were in a small Chevy van and you know the van was moving around but that was the only time our van got 22 mpg and we were traveling between 60-80 mph the whole way. Several times the driver signaled for us to drop back for various reasons (one of them for a state trooper heading the other way) and another time for heavier traffic. Overall, that was one of the most memorable rides we've ever had. We talked with the driver on the CB and the time went by real fast and it was pleasant. I learned an awful lot about driving during that 400 miles from the trucker.

Many drivers of the big rigs don't really want the responsibility of having someone drafting. You can get a sort of draft if you hang back about 2-3 seconds behind the rig- enough to feel the yawing of the van but far enough away that you're not ticking the driver off. 10-12 years ago, a New Hampshire woman driving a Volvo was killed when she began drafting a big rig on one of the major interstates. The driver of the rig was a woman. The NH woman didn't have a CB and fell in behind the rig. The driver tried to shake the woman off and finally drove over the rocky shoulder in the passing lane spraying the Volvo with loads of crushed rock. The woman in the Volvo lost control and flipped in the median. The rig driver was tried and convicted of vehicular manslaughter and served time. The witnesses to this event testified that the rig driver didn't stop after the Volvo flipped but just kept going. This is an extreme example of how some rig drivers don't want anyone drafting them.