Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:23:39 -0400
From:         Vanagon Man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: F.S.1991 Immaculate Westfalia Vanagon-Response from
              owner...
Comments: To: ALOHADREAM@AOL.COM

Bryan and list,

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. But to me, ANY motor with 98k on it that i have not maintained myself is a rebuild candidate, and i figure that into my bidding/pricing. That is 2/3 of the life of one of these motors any way that you slice it. I get people all the time calling me to look at their vanagon they just bought............recently a fellow paid around $7k for a late model westy with $180k on it...............he brings it by, and the motor is just trash. He called me before he bought it, and i offered to inspect it for him for a nominal fee..................he opted to go with his gut, and now he needs a rebuild when he only has had the car a few months. His wife is on his back, and he his down on the car...not sure what to do..............He asked me what I would have paid for the car in this condition, and i told him $2k tops..............he says "really?" and i said "Yup. Too many of them out there with bad motors. Bide your time, one shows up, you buy it cheap enough, put in a new Boston Engine big valve motor, and you are set for a long time..do all the hoses, clean the radiator, and all you have to worry about is the brakes and suspension stuff. Piece of cake" You would have between $7 and 8 k in it, and can go to Alaska if you want."

Most of the folks on this list, i would think, are in the same boat. me too! I bought the first camper I saw when i wanted one, paid too much for it, have too much in it, but still love it...............

Adam P Charleston,SC Coburn, WV 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) 1974 412 "Goldmember" Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Jones" <ALOHADREAM@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 10:06 AM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] F.S.1991 Immaculate Westfalia Vanagon-Response from owner...