Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:05:55 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I get no respect
Comments: To: Dieselslave@wmconnect.com

In a message dated 4/4/2004 10:09:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Dieselslave@WMCONNECT.COM writes:

> Just as a rusty old Pinto attracts police like a donut shop, the Vanagon > seems to enlist other drivers to speed up and tailgate, give the the quick > pass > then get in front of you, invoke the horn or even the 'finger'. I have even > found a bunch of repeat offenders or 'regulars' as I call them. (I hope it's > not my driving) I take it all in stride and get a good laugh on the way to > work > every morning. They should know it's a Vanagon, not a NASCAR. > In my opinion I don't think the older air-cooled vans get disrespected by > the general gum-chewing public as much as the Vanagon. > I get no respect. >

I'm sure many of us driving a bus suffer the same fate. You have to wonder about these people who are in such a hurry to get around you to have you pull up right behind them--or better--next to them at the next light. Really it's sad, because clearly it's not actually about getting there faster, it's some kind of deep-seeded self-hatred that fuels their actions and manifests itself when forward motion gets slowed-- if only for a moment in a cosmic sense. I think they called it projection in college--blaming your own problems on someone or something else, or finding fault in others to conceal your own maladity, the eternalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety. I want to help these people--in such a hurry to get away from themselves-- live a happier life. My bumper sticker would say:

"It's nothing personal. It's just slow."

I just feel so bad for those people with their projection, flipping me off and and screaming at their rear view mirror once they've passed. Everyone knows the healthy way to deal with life is with sublimination and denial. When will they learn?

Although I have to say I think driving a bus is a way of life. A kind of "I'm happy where I am right now," rather than an "are we there yet," or "I've gotta get somewhere else" attitude. I base this on the fact that when driving my remarkably clean VW Fox which has plenty of power, a five speed manual transmission, a sporty design, and a GTI steering wheel, people still pass me, scream at their rear view mirror, and give me the finger. I just smile at them when I catch up at the next light pretending everything is good and nothing is wrong. Could be I'm right.

I'm sure glad I'm not them. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA