Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:35:55 +0100
From:         Richard Stevens <resteven@BTOPENWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Random Oil Buzzer

This random low oil pressure buzzer malady seems to be very prevalent on these boxer engines. I've suffered this for several years on my 2.1 WBX, each time changing the higher pressure switch, only for it to return intermittently some time later. It has now driven me totally insane in that an engine that has only covered 80,000 miles is being replaced at this moment in time (along with the transaxle but that's another story). I've been giving it some thought as to possibilities to why this alarm sounds intermittently and to the driving situations when the alarm appears and to me it is usually when gentle acceleration is applied on a slight bend say in the case of negotiating a round about or bend in the road which, and I could be wildly wrong, to me could possibly indicate that the thrust washers on the crankshaft are out of spec in that the slight movement could give rise to a catastrophic drop in oil pressure for a brief period of time only to be "reset" on backing off of the accelerator. My original engine covered some 120000 miles before the dreaded water leak from the left hand side head put paid to it but in all those miles the oil pressure alarm never sounded its only on the new replacement , VW supplied, engine that the oil pressure problem has occurred.

Just a thought.

Richard

90 Tintent

Yesterday was dry and sunny and the oil buzzer sounded a few times during a 45 minute drive so my "damp wire" theory was way off base. Thanks for pointing that out Dennis and that the buzzer stays on even below 2000 once it starts.

I'll be picking up a new sensor tomorrow - hope that solves the problem. Thanks for the instructions John.

Eric '89 Vanagon Vancouver, BC

-----Original Message----- From: John Rodgers [mailto:jh_rodgers@bellsouth.net] ...I changed it out in my driveway. You do not have to remove anything but a belt or two to get to

the sensor. It can be changed simply by loosening it and unscrewing it from the case, and a new one screwed in and tightened. Care not to over - torque the thing. Remember what I said about Phinazee's Rule ---- if you don't know the torque value then tighten finger tight and 1/4 turn. This is especially true on small things like that sensor.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Haynes ...so I doubt dampness is a problem here. If the buzzer is actually sounding much below 2K rpm, then there may be a problem with the board for it or it is getting an erratic tach signal from the ECU or distributor pick up coil. Once the buzzer does sound at >2k, it will continue to sound until the switch circuit is completed, even if the engine rpm goes below 2k.

Dennis