Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 15:56:41 -0400
From:         Tracey Estevez <boatshop@INTERCOM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Yugo Videos - and other things (NVC)
Comments: To: jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET

Thanks for that link ,that was a major blast from the past! My Yugo Story: I am not sure what possesed my dad, a VW mechanic,to buy a new Yugo. But in 1987 he paid like $3500 fo a new Yugo DL. It was "loaded" , which meant that it had the extra-scratchy burlap seats, a cassette player and 4 "speakers" ( term used loosely), a pinstripe and body fairings (de-luxe trim pkg!), and an airconditioner that kept only the right kneecap of the driver cool. My dad welded a Mack truck bulldog statue to the hood as a joke.That darned thing ran like a champ. Even after a major accident in which my mother was rear-ended by 2 station wagons and pushed into a mini-van in the front (Yugo-sandwich), that car kep on going. After the accident the drivers seat came off the floor rails and had I re-attached it with cable ties (I was 16 and needed to go places!) and the gas tank was dented enough to where it only held 6 gallons of fuel. It was the laighing stock of all of my friends and they would play jokes on me by picking it up and putting it sideways in parking spaces. I was so embarrassed by it that I would go to town and park in a remote place then get a ride with a girlfriend to a party! When I told my dad I wanted a better car and would no longer drive that Yugo he said this "Yu-go is better than Yu-stay"...and he was right! When we sold that car in 1994 (for $150) it still ran perfectly and had over 175,000 miles on it. I regret selling it today, as well as my 77 Rabbit that replaced it.

-Tracey