Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:30:28 -0500
From:         "Warren.K.Lail-1" <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Back safely!

Well, thanks to everyone for the kind words of support for me and Bill Bones as we made our way to and from Santa Fe this weekend. I drove a total of 1400 miles and ole Billy Bones did a fine job (overall). He did take on a coughing spell as I left Santa Fe yesterday (in the snow) and cleared up only after I reconnected the 02 sensor, which I had disconnected for the entire trip to that point.

My only complaint was that the engine idled rough and loaded up just a little, so when I got home this afternoon I loosened all of the rocker arms just slightly, as Bob Donalds suggested, and although the rocker arms are chattering a little, the rough idle smoothed right out. One of those valves was too tight (#1). I'll readjust per Bentley within a day or two and hopefully I'll be through with the mechanical work on Billy for a while. It's time to enjoy the summer!

I had a chance to meet Gnarlie. Nice person, and good photographer. Normal looking I'm not! But Ole Billy Bones, now he's lookin' smart in those photos, don't you agree?

Ought to have my new (eBay) tranny in this week. Look forward to installing it and driving down the road not sounding like a truck!

Warren 88 Westy "Billy Bones" 87 GL "Long John"